Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sisters Part 2

I've yet to find my granola recipe . . .something tells me that it will require some deep cleaning before I can find the cook book! So, unfortunately, we will all have to wait for that yummy snack!

Meanwhile, I thought I'd continue w/ my Sister series.

I met Terrie on my first visit to Indiana when Dave and I were starting to date. She was so welcoming and kind. I remember feeling like a duck out of water, as I entered into the very conservative world. My family was conservative, but I had been on my own for almost 2 years, so I didn't exactly look the part! :-) Terrie has always been such a great friend to me. We share a love for shopping, drinking an ice cold fountain coke first thing in the morning, eating chocolate (as an emotional treat), and loving on our kids. Our husbands are so much alike that we don't even have to guess how they will react to things! We love to laugh - life is too short to be serious! We call each other weekly, to check on each other, vent, laugh, and say, "You'll never believe what my husband did today!" She's a great friend, and I'm so fortunate to have her as a sister-in-law!

Here are a few of her tasty recipes. Did I mention that she is a great cook? I learned from her, how to make "Bittinger" pot roast, complete w/ noodles cooked in the gravy . . . mmmm maybe I'll have to do that this week! Enjoy!

Corn Bread Layered Salad
6-8 servings
1 8 1/2 oz box cornbread mix cooked
6 green onions
1 med green pepper chopped
1 15 oz can corn (drained)
1 15 oz can red beans (drained and rinsed)
3/4 c mayo
3/4 c sour cream
1 t ranch dressing
4 T sugar
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1/2 c shredded cheese

Prepare and bake corn bread according to pkg directions (cool); crumble into 2 qt glass bowl
layer next 3 ingredients- (pepper/corn/beans); in small bowl combine mayo, sour cream, dressing and sugar. Spread dressing mixture over vegetables. Sprinkle w/ tomatoes and cheese.

Maple French Toast Casserole
6 servings
7 c cubed texas toast
1 8 oz cream cheese
1 c heavy whipping cream (warmed to 70 to 80*)
1/ c maple syrup
6 eggs
1/2 t vanilla
1 t cinnamon
dash of salt
sausage links, cooked and chopped

Place bread in greased 2 qt baking dish, press down gently. In small mixing bowl beat cream cheese till fluffy, gradually add in whipping cream and syrup; mix well. Whisk together eggs,vanilla,cinnamon, salt; add to cream cheese mixture pour evenly over bread. Add chopped sausages . Cover and refigerate overnight. Remove from fridge 30 min- before baking; Add topping (recipe follows), cover and bake at 375* for 25 min- uncover and bake 25 min longer or until center is set and top is golden brown. Serve with syrup.
topping
4 T butter
3 T sugar
2 t cinnamon
make a crumble and pour on top prior to baking

2 comments:

A Peek Into My Life said...

I ♥ this girl! (And her cooking!) :D

Anonymous said...

This looks scrumdelicious!! I think I'm going to try it. I really enjoy your blog.
Aunt Sharon