Monday, February 9, 2009

Spring Fever

I'm getting Spring Fever. I am feeling the need to clean, wanting to open my windows, and feel the fresh breeze, and seeking out "spring time" foods. As a child, I never had the opportunity to eat asparagus. Not that I would have eaten it . . . I think I viewed it as an "old persons" food (kinda like turnips, parsnips, rhubarb, and horseradish)! So, I'm not sure if my opinion has changed because I am now "older" :-) or if I just gave the asparagus a bad wrap to begin with. Anyway, my dear friend, Stephanie Witt, shared this recipe w/ me while we were both still living in Fort Scott, KS.. My kids love it, and it is so simple to prepare! I even used this as a very popular side dish when we owned the Kress Tea Room in Fort Scott. I found some asparagus at a good price while I was shopping the other day, and couldn't pass it up. I was getting tired of frozen mixed veggies, and wanted something fresh. I'm so glad I picked up a couple of pounds. My family was glad to see an "old friend" resurface. Asparagus is a spring vegetable. So, I'm very happy to see young asparagus showing up more frequently in the grocery store! It's just a little over a month before Spring officially begins! I can hardly wait!

Parmesan Asparagus
serves 5

2 1/2 - 3 # fresh, young asparagus
2 Tbs olive oil (may sub. canola, veg. oil)
2 tsp Kosher salt (may sub regular salt)
2/3 - 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (not grated)
Trim asparagus approximately 3" below the head, discard the stems. Arrange asparagus in a single layer, on sheet cake sized baking dish. Drizzle oil over the asparagus, sprinkle w/ salt, and top w/ shredded cheese. Bake in 450* oven for 7-10 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned. This is best served immediatley. We like to cook it a little longer so that the tops of the asparagus
have a little crispiness to them from "searing" in some of the oil.

2 comments:

Alaska women said...

we loved your asparagus... as a matter of fact, I have always loved asparagus.... Keep up the wonderful recipes...

Love you all

Tanjala

SentimentsbyDenise said...

If you like fresh mushrooms, I have a wonderful recipe for asparagus and mushrooms I can share with you.
I also learned to enjoy asparagus after I became an "adult" - like only about 6-7 years ago! hee!