Saturday, January 31, 2009

Stocking up for the week

The bounty of snow has put a crimp in my food storage system. I usually take one day a week and make a large batch of waffles, pancakes, muffins, cookie dough balls, etc. to store in the freezer for later use. I've been so busy preparing kids to go outside, cleaning up snow, drying clothes, fixing LOTS of hot cocoa/tea, that I have gotten behind in my "normal" activities! So, today, I plan on fixing some muffins, breakfast burritos, and maybe some waffles to get me caught up . . . of course, the kids haven't had their "snow fix" for the day, so my plans could get changed!

I try to keep our meals simple, for the most part. One of our favorite meals is wraps. I'm not really a sandwich person . . .unless it is from Marsha's Great Plains Deli in Ft. Scott, KS, my home town. You can rest assured that I will be paying that place a visit when we go "home" in a couple of weeks. However, I love wraps - they are an awesome way to use the little bits of leftover cooked chicken, steak, deli meat, cut up veggies, etc. Once again, these are so versatile. The kids' wraps can be different from ours (PB & J), and it's not a lot of hassle to prepare them. These make great lunches for Dave because I can fix them, wrap them in plastic wrap, and they are ready for him to take to work the next day. Be creative, personalize these to your taste . . .go meatless, and create a healthy veggie wrap - think of it as a hand held salad!

Wraps
1 serving

1 tortilla (any size, any flavor) room temp
Meat, chopped chicken, turkey, deli meats, crumbled bacon (optional)
Cheese, shredded or deli sliced(feta, blue, Swiss, cheddar, pepper-jack, Mexican mix)
Veggies, sliced or chopped (onion, sweet pepper, matchstick carrots, olives, cucumber, mushrooms, tomatoes, sprouts)
Mayo, salad dressing of choice
Lettuce or fresh spinach

Spread a thin layer of mayo on the tortilla (this helps the next layer to stay in place). Top mayo w/ a single layer of lettuce or spinach to w/in 1/2" of the edge of tortilla. Now, layer your meat & veggies; top w/ dressing of your choice, and roll up. Be careful not to add too much filling, or you won't be able to roll your wrap! I like to slice mine in two - it makes it easier for the kids to handle. One pound of deli meat will make 5+ wraps for us - each wrap typically only needs 2 slices of meat.

No comments: